Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ophelia


"On the calm black water where the stars are sleeping
White Ophelia floats like a great lily;

Floats very slowly, lying in her long veils..."

- Arthur Rimbaud

"Ophelia" (1852), John Millais
This is one of my favorite paintings.

Do any of you have any favorite paintings? I'd love to look them up.


upcoming contest alert: One of you can win a bottle of Advanced Face Firming Activator
from Perricone MD. More on that next time...

20 comments:

kulululu said...

thank u!!
u have very nice post again!

Vera said...

Beautiful painting. It reminds me of a Kylie Minogue song - where the wild roses grow..

Annie Spandex said...

My dad's an artist so my favorite paintings are his. He does a lot of abstract landscapes that are super neat :)

Mom Fashion World said...

nice and unique painting.

aside from van gogh, monet paintings,
i'm so proud og my husband's artwork.

Is This Real Life? said...

Awesome paintings!

E said...

That is an incredible piece. It's so creepy and beautiful.

Damsels said...

favorite uhmm jsut clasic ones i think
boat party by renoir
and Blue guitar by picasso
We Were Damsels

Anonymous said...

Beautiful paintings. My favorite artist is Rene Magritte. All of his paintings are amazingly unusual.

Syed said...

Haha, one of my favourite paintings too :) As rubbish as people find them, I am actually obsessed with Mark Rothko's work.

Catherine said...

That's seriously beautiful. Wow.

Luxi said...

I don't have one favourite piece, I adore every one of Tracey Emins works though. That image of Ophelia is just so beautiful though

LuvLux
xxx

Fashionology said...

wow amazing! Love your blog! <3

Anika said...

Love this particular one. And as cliched as it is, Gustav Klimt's work always does it for me!

Human Racing said...

Beautiful painting! I don't have a favorite, but there are a few that I like.

Unknown said...

beautiful and mysterious

one of my favorites is monet's venice twilight

Jane Alisa said...

great post, really beautiful paintings .x.

Yuka said...

omg i love tihs painting. i remember seeing it when i was younger and then never seeing it again and not remembering who it was by. thanks for posting it!

Yuka said...

omg i love tihs painting. i remember seeing it when i was younger and then never seeing it again and not remembering who it was by. thanks for posting it!

Clarity said...

I always wanted to redo the Ophelia in the water, but have her as dreaming, waiting.

Still searching for my favourite painter, but one I've always liked is Toulouse-Lautrec, hugely caring, talented, unique and intelligent:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/freeparking/523448523/

I always imagined these two were newlyweds and he snuck in to paint the peaceful rest.

L. said...

This painting is pretty