Monday, February 23, 2009

Some Oscar Lovin'

"Art, in any form, is and has been and will always be our universal language and we should do everything we can, everything we can, to protect its survival."
- Penelope Cruz, B
est Supporting Actress winner, in her acceptance speech.

I was really moved by Penelope Cruz's speech last night because she said what I have always felt but could never put into words. As a student
double-majoring in Film and Creative Writing, I know there are some people who don't see the use in what I study. Cruz's statement is just a reminder to me of that importance - literature, film, and other forms of art speak to our souls and connect us all.

I was also so excited to see Slumdog Millionare's Frieda Pinto wearing the John Galliano gown I showed on this blog!

She's such a beautiful lady and I think she looked wonderful last night.
(click for high quality image, courtesy of Elle.com)

11 comments:

Connie Hsiu said...

oh thanks youre too sweet!!! gosh, i LOVE penelope's speech :)

Gaby, held on by wires. said...

yeah that was the ONLY dress I liked, really... you called it, lady! good job :P

Niviarsiaq said...

I'm so sad I missed the oscars last night! I had to work. =( the closest I got to seeing them was looking through best and worst puctures I found on yahoo. The dress looks amazing on her! I'm glad she wore it.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! xx

MJ. said...

I saw her speach last night and must say it was really movin'...I'm so proud a Spanish actress got that far...

XX

Charmaine Li said...

she pulls off the dress SOOo well!! soooo beautiful..

Baybay Mama said...

I didn't get to see the Oscars unfortunately but what she said makes sense.
I am really proud of you sticking to your guns and doing that double major.

crystal said...

Aw thank you :)

this wheel's on fire said...

i didn't love that dress on the red carpet...for some reason i thought it didn't work. but she is SO GORGEOUS that she really can wear anything!

and i love what you wrote about art & penelope's speech! it was really moving...

mandi said...

omg, gorgeous. i have to say the dress on the runway is a million times better in my opinion...but i definitely wouldn't expect her to be rocking a see through gown to the oscars, not exactly appropriate. still, she looks beautiful.

Frances Davison said...

that dress was just SO perfect for Frieda! x