Monday, January 26, 2009

Style Icon: Sade Adu

Another lady who wears red lipstick beautifully is the stunning, soulful singer Sade Adu.
I've always been a fan of her music but until recently I had no idea that she got her degree in fashion design and even had a small men's fashion company for a while. It's obvious to me now that her experience with fashion had a big influence on her style. She often wore menswear pieces, making them look just as elegant as her dresses.

With her angelic voice, she became one of the most successful British musicians as well as one of the lucky few singers to make the cover of Time. Her international hits include Smooth Operator, Sweetest Taboo, Is It A Crime, and No Ordinary Love. If she still sounds unfamiliar, you've probably heard her music playing in an elevator somewhere or at the dentist's office... but don't be too quick to dismiss it. It's still some of the most beautiful music I've heard.


Sade - Nothing Can Come Between Us

12 comments:

Baybay Mama said...

It's so funny because when I was young in the 80's I didn't mind Sade and then when I was working in the city at this restaurant all they played was Sade and I totally associated it with that so it kind of ruined her for me:(

Delmy said...

The first pictures looks like Beyonce. I love red lipstick. She does wear it beautifully.

Niviarsiaq said...

Yay! There is another Sade lover in the world! No one ever knows who I am talking about when I mention her name. It's a shame because her voice is so beautiful!

MJ. said...

Some people have just that luck to wear red lipstick beautifully...Somo others don't (like me :P)
I've loved her music since my dad made me listen to one of her songs as a kid!

XX

Gerry said...

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this.

Not only is her voice perfect, her style is unique and feels really... her.

♥ Cara Mia ♥ said...

i love her! that is so cool, i never knew she was into fashion design. great post!

ps. i just added you to my links, i thought i already had you up since i visit your blog all the time. :)

Anonymous said...

one beautiful thing about her was her voice which gave me goose bumps when i would hear my grandmother play it through the house,

i noticed in the photos above in your post,is her hand,that must have been a signature of hers,i adore it

that red lipstick is perfection on her.

xx
D

Yves said...

She kinda looks like a younger version of my aunt.

Anonymous said...

She's so talented. Always a classic in so many ways.

Anonymous said...

Her stuff still is amazing. Nice post about her.

yiqin; said...

The lips are so sexy ;)

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that all the world will only suffer after the permanent loss of one of God's very special gifts to our time....Sade Adu.